Sunday, September 18, 2016

Boldog Szülinapot!


     Today was Zenkő's birthday.  I made pancakes for breakfast and we used some of the maple syrup I brought.  They came out pretty good, all things considered.  I forgot that they would have any measuring cups or teaspoons here.  Everything is in mL and grams.  Also, we had to use baking soda instead of baking powder and olive oil instead of cooking oil.  They still tasted about the same though.  Cooking them a difficult too because not only was the stove not in degrees fahrenheit, but it wasn't in celsius either.  Fanny just turned it on to its default setting and we experimented from there.

     Yesterday we drove to a nearby village where their little cousins live.  Kincső is maybe 6 and Babi turned 3.  She and Zenkő had a joint party.  The girl from their Grampa's house last week, Monika, was there, as well as her little sister who's probably 2.  None of them speak english so I had fun playing with them.
This is Babi's room.  The entire inside of the house was really cute.
     Their house is beautiful.  Its a big cottage looking thing that's really haphazardly fenced in, with a really old barn, and some sheep behind the house.  On a lot of the old buildings the date it was built is tiled into the roof.
     They even had two massive sheep dogs.  They went up to my hip.
     They have an outdoor stove/oven/chimney thing that they cooked a sheep in.

     There was also mashed potatoes, bean salad, and lots of bread.  They made this yummy dry fudge paste stuff out of sunflower seeds.  The cakes were beautifully decorated and everyone sang a Hungarian birthday song.  We ate out on the side porch and after all the dishes were cleared they pulled hammocks down from the rafters and people sat around chatting.

6 comments:

  1. Did the pancakes rise using baking soda? Was the maple syrup new to your host family or do they have something similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancakes rose fine and the closest have is honey or jam. They'd had syrup before though because fanny's host family came to visit last summer.

      Delete
  2. Claire liked the picture of the dog-he's huge. Do you have any pictures of the little cousins? Your classroom looks nice. How many students are there in your class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any pictures of the little cousins but I'll definitely take some next time they're around. An there are about 30 kids in my class.

      Delete
  3. What sports teams does the school have? What time do they go to bed and get up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the fall I think they just have basket ball. They're a small school and they don't have any tracks or fields so I'm not sure what other sports they do. And we usually go to bed around 11 and get up at 7. We have to leave 7:40 to walk to school by 8.

      Delete